Lowcountry Photojournalism LLC is now
Mic Smith Photography LLC
I caught the photography bug from my mom early on and was shooting photos for my hometown newspaper before I graduated high school.
My photojournalism career taught me to anticipate, think on my feet and work at a high level of technical expertise – all on deadline. Flexibility is a must at a newspaper. One day you’re shooting a fashion spread, the next a college football game. My favorite work at The Post and Courier in Charleston, SC, allowed me to get to know people and tell their stories.
My ultimate goal always has been to deliver photographs that evoke a lasting emotional reaction. I take the same approach to weddings, now my specialty as a full-time freelance photographer.
• Nominated twice for the Pulitzer Prize.
• Featured in Photos of the Year collections for Life and Newsweek.
• Also published in Time, People, Sports Illustrated, O, The Oprah Magazine, Charleston Weddings, Charleston Magazine, USA Today and more.
• Cultural photos featured in the Joggling Board Press cookbook Gullah Cuisine.
• Two decades newspaper experience – 14 years at The Post and Courier in Charleston, SC.
• Consistent winner of SC Press Association awards.
• Sixth place, William Randolph Hearst National Photojournalism Championship for college seniors.